Wednesday, June 24, 2009

recent U. of Idaho, Moscow sightings, 6/24/09

Hi All -

I've got a Cordilleran Flycatcher calling (suwheet suwheet!) outside my office window right now and it's been wandering around this side of campus since Monday. I presume it's an un-mated male as I haven't heard it before this week. They are regular though and have probably nested on campus in the past. A Warbling Vireo was also singing nearby on Monday although not since and I presume the same story. They have nested in the UI Arboretum but probably this bird was not a local breeder.

Local breeders of interest include Western Wood Pewees and Yellow Warblers which are on territory along Paradise Creek and elsewhere in the case of the pewees. I haven't walked through the Shattuck Arboretum recently but have heard a House Wren calling there from the peripherary and heard that Mountain Chickadees were nesting there again. Violet-green Swallows, Barn Swallows, and Vaux's Swifts are also a regular features of campus avifauna in June.

Raptors on campus include Red-tailed and Swainson's Hawks and the Red-tails have noisy young on the southeast side of campus. I don't know where the Swainson's are nesting this year but there must be a pair nearby. American Kestrels have apparently nested in the Art and Architecture building and I heard food begging young there yesterday which I will check out again later today.

--
Charles Swift
Moscow, ID
chaetura@gmail.com

No comments: