Tuesday, January 25, 2011

silo geese and butter-butts, Moscow, 1/25/11

I noticed in the past couple of days that a pair of Canada Geese has staked out their high perch on top of one of the silos in town. This happens every spring and although I've never monitored them (perhaps I will this year) I presume they are nesting here (presumably successfully or a pair wouldn't show back up every year). Sometimes there is squabbling at the site which I presume is from competing pairs or individuals so it must be a highly prized site.

Also walking in to campus I had 3 Yellow-rumped Warblers (aka butter-butts) at their traditional Greek row wintering site - today near the Delta Gamma sorority house.

--
Charles Swift
Moscow, Idaho
(north-central Idaho, 80 miles SE of Spokane, WA)
46°43′54″ N, 116°59′50″ W
email: chaetura@gmail.com
skype: charles.swift
google voice: 208-991-2473

No comments: