Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Fwd: crossbill vocalizations



---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Charles Swift <chaetura@gmail.com>
Date: Tue, Apr 14, 2009 at 10:40 PM
Subject: crossbill vocalizations
To: inland birders <inland-nw-birders@uidaho.edu>


Hi All -

I tracked down a Red Crossbill near my house  this morning which I initially thought might be a White-winged giving a series of notes (essentially a song I'd say) including some chet-chet notes . In retrospect it was a typical Red Crossbill "song" but the interspersed call notes were more subdued than the typical sharp, high jip notes of Red Crossbills. It was a first year male so perhaps this had something to do with it but I suppose one should be careful with anything that sounds like a jip-jip (or chip-chip, chet-chet, etc.), subdued or otherwise. I'm sure in the past I've always erred on the side of assuming any crossbill like call was most likely a Red Crossbill but have become a bit complacent this early spring with the White-winged Crossbill invasion.

In any case I'm feeling less confident about some of the birds I've been hearing since March that I'd thought were White-winged (although I don't doubt there were (are?) some still around since the January-February time frame). The White-winged Crossbill flocks give a distinctive harsh chatter (described as static by some and similar to redpoll flock chatter). It's the individual fly-over birds that seem to be more problematic and I haven't quite nailed down the "cheit-cheit-cheit " call described below.

Here is how BNA descirbes White-winged Crossbill calls:
"One, a distinctive call often given in flight, described as "a very dry, rapid chut-chut-chut-chut " (Russell 1976), similar to the chatter of redpolls. Another flight call "a nasal, querulous cheit-cheit-cheit " (Russell 1976). Distinctive alarm calls made when disturbed; one described as a rough and burry " tchet, tchet, tchet " (Austin 1968). Also, a call given by solitary birds to attract other crossbills (Fig. 3 bottom). Juveniles give a distinct single note begging call (chit; Groth 1992)."

I'd be interested to hear impressions of others who had a chance to study the White-winged Crossbill vocalizations this winter or from other experience.

thanks, Charles.


--
Charles Swift
Moscow, ID
chaetura@gmail.com



--
Charles Swift
Moscow, ID
chaetura@gmail.com

No comments: