Sunday, April 26, 2009

Moscow yard birds and eBird import tool

Hi All -

I had a Lincoln's Sparrow in my backyard lilac hedge this morning and it was still skulking around just a few minutes ago when I stepped out the back door. I put some bird seed down a few days ago so perhaps that is keeping it around. It's not the first for my yard but it's been quite a while so was nice to see (and I never get tired of seeing Lincoln's Sparrows).

Not coincidentally I started doing 5-15 minute morning bird surveys (species list below) a few weeks ago - it's a nice way to start the day. I'm recording all birds seen or heard from right around the yard and recording them in an excel spread sheet. Then every couple weeks I will import them into eBird using the import tool. It's much easier and quicker than submitting a checklist to eBird. I'm also doing this for some of the water spots around Moscow that I check somewhat regularly keeping those data in a separate excel file. (This is also a good way to import sightings from Avisys or other listing programs.) Complete instructions and record formats are on the eBird web site here: http://ebird.org/content/ebird/about/using-the-ebird-data-import-tool

good bird'n,
Charles.


birds species seen/heard on morning bird surveys near my east Moscow yard since 4/20/09

Canada Goose
Sharp-shinned Hawk
Ring-necked Pheasant
California Quail
Eurasian Collared-Dove
Common Raven
American Crow
Varied Thrush
American Robin
Downy Woodpecker
Northern Flicker
Cassin's Vireo
Black-capped Chickadee
Mountain Chickadee
Red-breasted Nuthatch
Ruby-crowned Kinglet
Golden-crowned Kinglet
European Starling
Yellow-rumped Warbler
Lincoln's Sparrow
White-crowned Sparrow
House Finch
Pine Siskin
American Goldfinch
Pine Grosbeak
Red Crossbill
Brown-headed Cowbird
House Sparrow




--
Charles Swift
Moscow, ID
chaetura@gmail.com

No comments: