Friday, June 10, 2005

Barn Owl in the night

I heard a Barn Owl call several times last evening when I went out to coax our cat in. I thought I might even get a look at it but it must have flown off. I have seen or heard one in the area several times since January. I presume a pair is nesting nearby somewhere, most likely in a building downtown (perhaps one of the grain elevators). They are probably flying over on their way to foraging areas. I will try to find a Barn Owl call to post here.

Barn Owls are fairly common in the Palouse area although we are near the northern edge of the range for this species. They nest in a variety of cavities including rock caves, old buildings, and even nest boxes are more common done in the Lewiston/Clarkston Valley and somewhat easier to find there - especially in the winter.

No comments: