Thursday, January 29, 2009

Moscow finch & Mann Lake report, 1/29/09

Just catching up on a few things:

On Tuesday, 1/27 I did a winter bird survey on private property along the Snake R. south of Lewiston which I will report on later (hopefully!). Afterwards I did a bit of birding around Mann Lake, Nez Perce Co., ID. It was frozen and fairly quiet but I found 3 Rough-legged Hawks, a "singing" immature Northern Shrike, and many hundreds of Horned Larks (both white and yellow faced forms). I searched the Horned Larks but could not find any buntings of longspurs however the weather was deteriorating making viewing difficult. The biggest group was near the intersection of Lapwai (also called Soldiers Canyon Rd.) and Wagner Rd. (It occurred to me that it would be worth searching Lewiston for winter finches but I didn't have time, I was thinking the area around LCSC would be worth a look.)

On returning home to Moscow I heard the familiar cheedle calls of Pine Grosbeaks. I also flushed a Mourning Dove from my yard which I consider to be a sign a spring as they are very early nesters and we often get one and then later 2 (a pair I presume) later in January.

On the morning of 1/28 while heading out the door I heard a singke White-winged Crossbill fly by - they have been reported over the past few days from my neighborhood but this is first for my yard (so a new yard bird!).

thanks, Charles.

--
Charles Swift
Moscow, ID
chaetura@gmail.com

No comments: