Saturday, January 24, 2009

Moscow update - Pine Grosbeaks, White-winged Crossbill, American Robins, 1/24/09

Hi All -

Plenty of Pine Grosbeaks around town still - hardly worth commenting on anymore! Anytime I walk at least a few blocks I run into some. Yesterday I had them at several locations on the east side of Moscow and on the UI Campus near the admin. bldg. At the 7th & Hayes location mentioned by Nancy Miller I had a flyover White-winged Crossbill on the 23rd - this is only several blocks from my house but I haven't detected any for my yard list yet. There are also *lots* of American Robins around Moscow right now - certainly many hundreds if not more. On Thursday I had ~250 robins feeding on frozen crab apples near the UI Music School, yesterday I had several hundred fly over my house and several hundred more at 7th & Hayes. Still no major invasion of Bohemian Waxwings yet although there have been some flocks of several hundred around (major invasions bring several thousand into the area).

Charles.

--
Charles Swift
Moscow, ID
chaetura@gmail.com

No comments: