Wednesday, May 13, 2009

Moscow Lewis's Woodpecker, etc., 5/13/09


Hi All -

I had a Lewis's Woodpecker in one of the large Maple trees around my yard this yard this morning. Unfortunately when I ran into the house for the camera it disappeared. This is the second for my yard, also had one down the street in 2006. I think the Hoff's (a couple blocks away) get them from time to time in spring and they've showed up on campus before. Always nice to see.

[Another showed up in the yard on 5/22 and this time I had the camera at the ready and was able to get this image.]

Not much else in the way of migrants except 1 each Hammond's and Dusky Flycatchers (both vocalizing), 1 each Cassin's and Warbling Vireos, and a Townsend's Warbler singing somewhere nearby. A Rufous Humminbird has been in the lilacs since yesterday - attracted probably by the blooming Oregon Grape. I put a couple feeders up yesterday and saw him at it in the evening.

thanks, Charles.
--
Charles Swift
Moscow, ID
chaetura@gmail.com

No comments: